History from NCTAMSPAC web site

The Beginning to World War II
In May 1888, the United States established a coaling station to 
service the vessels of the Pacific Fleet in Pearl Harbor. His Hawaiian 
Majesty King David Kalakaua had granted the U.S. the exclusive rights 
to enter and develop the area earlier that year. The U.S. Naval Radio 
Station in the Pearl Harbor area, the first government station in the 
islands, began operations on Oct. 1, 1906. This radio station 
continued its operation until its deactivation in 1916.

On March 3, 1915, Congress passed an Appropriations Act that 
authorized $400,000 for the construction of a high-powered, long 
distance radio station at Pearl Harbor. In 1916, this new station, 
NPM, began operations at Hospital Point, Pearl Harbor. At 2:30 a.m. on 
the morning of Sept. 20, 1916, Capt. Clark, the first commandant of 
the 14th Naval District, sent the following message from the NPM to 
the Naval Radio Station, Long Beach, California:


A congratulatory message from the Secretary of the Navy arrived 33 
minutes later. During the years following World War I, the naval 
activities in the Pearl Harbor area continued to expand. It soon 
became obvious that the future expansion of the radio station 
facilities in the area would not be practical. In 1933, a tract of 
land at Lualualei was set aside by the territory of Hawaii for use by 
the U.S. Navy. Seven self-supporting steel towers were erected to a 
height of 610 feet at this new site for an antenna system for long 
wave radio transmitting. The site was officially activated in 1936, 
and by 1941 twelve transmitters were in operation.

The World War II Years
With the arrival of the major U.S. Pacific Fleet units at Pearl Harbor 
in 1939, it became increasingly clear that a new receiver and control 
station was needed. Therefore, a secluded spot at Wahiawa, some 20 
miles north of Pearl Harbor, was chosen and purchased by the Navy for 
approximately one million dollars. Construction began on the 697.2 
acres of land in 1940 and was scheduled to be completed in 1942. 
During that time, the station at Wahiawa was considered the most 
important of a number of Naval Radio and Air Stations being 
constructed as a part of a general expansion program.

On Dec. 7, 1941, a few minutes before 0800, several squadrons of 
Japanese aircraft passed over the Lualualei Transmitter Site on their 
way to bomb Pearl Harbor. As the planes passed over the major Naval 
Radio Stations they were strafed, but the casualties among the 
communications personnel were light. However, the radio stations 
themselves proved highly vulnerable to attack. Lualualei was located 
only 4,000 yards from the shoreline and received its power over 
exposed land lines from the Hawaiian Electric Company, 22 miles away. 
The radio facility at Wailupe, also along the seacoast, was deemed 
unprotectable. So, on the morning of December 10, it was decided to 
have all of the equipment at Wailupe moved to the new site at Wahiawa.

This new site was an excellent receiving area and the best-protected 
radio station on the island. Men worked day and night to transfer 
operations to Wahiawa and on December 17 the relocation was completed 
without the slightest interruption in communications service. This 
location became known as the Naval Radio Station, Wahiawa. Shortly 
thereafter, the Security Group Unit was also moved from Heeia to 

To improve naval communications in the Pacific area, a Communications 
Security Unit (COMSEC) was established at Wahiawa in 1942 under the 
management and control of the Chief of Naval Operations (CNO). Their 
purpose was to assist in a program of cryptographic security, message 
traffic control and message traffic analysis. It became apparent after 
the war that the naval communication facilities in Hawaii could never 
revert to their small pre-war status, but would have to continue in 
the role of "big business."

After World War II
Shortly after the war, a committee was appointed by the CNO to make a 
survey of the facilities at Wahiawa and to make the appropriate 
recommendations concerning the location of the central point of radio 
communications. The committee decided that the central point should 
return to Pearl Harbor and that Wahiawa be relegated to a receiver 
site. However, in 1956, it was decided that insufficient space existed 
in the Pearl Harbor area to permit the continued expansion of 
communications facilities on Oahu. In addition, the various components 
were scattered throughout the Pearl Harbor complex which made the 
operation highly uneconomic and difficult to supervise. It was decided 
to relocate the central point back to the Wahiawa site.

Because the requirements for rapid communications from the Department 
of the Navy to the fleet operational commanders had changed, the CNO 
authorized the activation of an additional teletypewriter system. This 
system, known as HICOM, was activated in 1957 and operated parallel to 
the existing communications channels. Later, the Commander in Chief, 
U.S. Pacific Fleet (CINCPACFLT), established an additional parallel 
circuit known as the "Atomic Strike Coordinator Circuit." It was 
determined that even more rapid communications would be necessary. 
Therefore, a new communications net, known as the "Naval Operation 
Net" was formed in 1959. At the same time, the Navy decided that the 
stations at Haiku and Heeia were no longer needed. The station at 
Heeia was turned over to the Marine corps Air Station at Kaneohe, 
while the Haiku station was placed in a non-operational status.

The communication stations on Oahu underwent a consolidation in 1967. 
The message centers at Pearl Harbor (NAVSHIPYD), Makalapa 
(CINCPACFLT), Camp Smith (CINCPAC), Moanalua (FLEWEACEN), Secure Voice 
Pearl Harbor, and Consolidated Maintenance came under an Officer-in-
Charge, which was known as NAVCOMMACTS Pearl Harbor. NAVCOMMACTS Pearl 
Harbor was a department of NAVCOMMSTA Honolulu who exercised 
administrative and operational control. The message center at Barbers 
Point also came under the control of NAVCOMMSTA Honolulu at the same 

The Makalapa Local Digital Message Exchange (LDMX) was activated in 
March 1973 by Vice Admiral G. C. Talle, Deputy CINCPACFLT. The 
system's activation marked a significant step forward by improving 
writer-to-reader speed of service, message formatting, routing 
indicator assignment, and message recall for CINCPACFLT. In September 
1977, the NAVCOMMACTS Pearl Harbor was disestablished and NTCC Camp 
Smith, NTCC Makalapa, NTCC Pearl Harbor, Secure Voice, and 
Consolidated Maintenance became separate departments of NAVCOMMSTA 
Honolulu. Concurrently, NTCC Moanalua was disestablished and the 
communication functions were turned over to the Fleet Weather Center.

In December 1977, NTCC Pearl Harbor was disestablished and absorbed 
into NTCC Makalapa in an ongoing effort to consolidate communications 
on Oahu. Subsequently, in February 1978, NTCC Makalapa, located in the 
basement of the CINCPACFLT headquarters building at Makalapa, became 
officially known as NTCC Pearl Harbor. The commanding officer of 
NAVCOMMSTA Honolulu transmitted the first message, via the LDMX 
system, in a ceremony marking the transformation of the CINCPAC 
Telecommunications Center at Camp H.M. Smith from Joint operation to 
Navy management in September 1973.

In April 1976, the Naval Communications Station Honolulu was 
officially renamed Naval Communication Area Master Station, Eastern 
Pacific (NAVCAMS EASTPAC). On Feb. 18, 1977, the commanding officer at 
NAVCAMS EASTPAC officially dedicated the new Super High Frequency 
(SHF) Satellite Facility at Wahiawa, the largest such facility of its 
kind. Concurrently, the Navy's Satellite Facility at Helemano was 
deactivated. NTCC Ford Island became a department of NAVCAMS EASTPAC 
in October 1983.

On Dec. 1, 1990, NAVCAMS EASTPAC and NARDAC Pearl Harbor merged to 
form the Naval Computer and Telecommunications Area Master Station, 
Eastern Pacific (NCTAMS EASTPAC). This merger took place to ensure 
that the Navy could meet the challenges of technological changes and 

The command was again renamed on Oct. 20, 1997. The new name, Naval 
Computer and Telecommunications Area Master Station (NCTAMS) Pacific, 
better reflected the command's regional operating area.