Naval Radio Station Wailupe -1921
photos by Harold B. "Skinny" Phelps - Brian Phelps writes - "My Grandfather was a wireless operator on Wailupe during 1921. His name was Harold Bartle Phelps Sr. His Navy buddies called him “Skinny”. After Hawaii, he served in Samoa, Bremerton, WA, and other places. He was recalled to active duty during World War II where he served as a wireless operator again, this time in Alaska on Woody Island among other places."
|1919 - L to R - E.L. Harris, W.G. Tichenor, O.H. Scott, H.B.
"Skinny" Phelps, all CRM
||One of the original huts
Naval Radio Station Wailupe - 1920's
Naval Radio Station Wailupe -January 1937
1919 - In 1919
a location for a remote receiving and control
station was chosen
at Wailupe, Oahu,
about seven miles east of
Honolulu, close to the Marconi station at
was stationed at Wailupe from
1922. His story
of the establishment of
station was published in the
Station, Honolulu, "Trade Winds"
issue of 25 June 1970.
"When we entered World War I, the Navy simply moved a recruiting crew to the commercial station and signed up the entire crew in various ratings in the Naval Reserve, put uniforms on them, and continued to utilize their communication skills under Navy supervision.
The temporary station at Wailupe was probably built around the first part of 1919 and NPM moved there to allow the Kahuku and Koko Head stations to be remodeled. Almost the entire crew of operators at Koko Head was sent to Wailupe as USNR, supplemented by such regular Navy radiomen available. In those days not too many Navy operators had experience in handling commercial traffic.
The Navy purchased a piece of land at Wailupe for the temporary station and it was very temporary as plans were in the making for a permanent station at Wailupe. There were three booths, more like chicken coops, scattered on the beach. Each booth. of crude construction, had room for two circuits. The roofs leaked and some of the operators had to sit under an umbrella suspended from the ceiling to keep water off the equipment. Or we would search around the yard for a scrap of tarpaper or some boards to lead the water off the operating position. There were no signals piped in. Receiving antennas were strung between trees and poles. All control wires were very haywire, no soldered connections and very few even taped, which brought on intermittent wire trouble, rain or shine.
There was an old house on the land. It was one big room, no doors, windows or screens. This housed the office, file rooms, ship to shore circuit and the land wire to the Honolulu city office (HU) and the office in Pearl Harbor (PH). Anyone working in this house after dusk had to put rubber bands around the bottom of their trousers and have several sticks of mosquito punk under their chair to be able to stay there. If they forgot to bring their punk or couldn't find someone else's cache they would stuff an old rag in a can and light it off. Anything was better than those mosquitoes.
We stood a three section watch, seven days a week, no rotation of watches, no days off. Straight 8 on and 16 off, and that's the way it was at the start of NPM at Wailupe as a Government and commercial traffic station.
When I went there in August of 1919, NPM had schedules with NPL (San Diego), NPU (Tutuila, Samoa), NPN (Guam), and NPO (Cavite). There was no direct daylight communication with NPO or JJC (Japan). NPO broadcast to NPM at midnight. NPU broadcast to NPM at 2 a.m. and NPM broadcast to NPU at 9 a.m. None of those circuits were reliable at all times due to static and fading periods. We just kept the traffic moving as best we could, all by hand, on low frequencies. Practically all traffic for Cavite and the Asiatic Fleet was relayed through NPN.
The Navy had been searching around for a piece of land for the permanent station and finally had found some school land that was suitable, for which they traded the temporary site, and started construction of the permanent. buildings. The new site also gave room for expansion up the hill in back of the reservation. The station was completed early in 1921. It was built over the water to provide more land space for the proposed DCOs quarters, two duplex CPO quarters, and the single men's barracks. These were completed late in '21 or early in 1922."
1923 - From LT George Todd, USN RET:
1934 - From LT George Todd, USN RET:
December 1941 move from Wailupe to Wahiawa - From Lt. C. A. Porter, Communications Officer at Wahiawa
Wailupe was taken over by the USCG in 1942 - Photos and Info
Pearl Harbor Transmitter Site presumably
|Federal Arc Converter
The Beginning to World War IIIn May 1888, the United States established a coaling station to service the vessels of the Pacific Fleet in Pearl Harbor. His Hawaiian Majesty King David Kalakaua had granted the U.S. the exclusive rights to enter and develop the area earlier that year. The U.S. Naval Radio Station in the Pearl Harbor area, the first government station in the islands, began operations on October 1, 1906. This radio station continued its operation until its deactivation in 1916.
"SECRETARY OF THE NAVY, WASHINGTON, D.C. I HAVE THE HONOR TO SEND YOU
THE FIRST THROUGH MESSAGE TO WASHINGTON, D.C., FROM PEARL HARBOR, HAWAII RADIO
STATION, AND CAN REPORT SATISFACTORY PROGRESS OF THE PLANT. GEORGE R. CLARK
A congratulatory message from the Secretary of the Navy arrived 33 minutes later. During the years following World War I, the naval activities in the Pearl Harbor area continued to expand. It soon became obvious that the future expansion of the radio station facilities in the area would not be practical. In 1933, a tract of land at Lualualei was set aside by the territory of Hawaii for use by the U.S. Navy. Seven self-supporting steel towers were erected to a height of 610 feet at this new site for an antenna system for long wave radio transmitting. The site was officially activated in 1936, and by 1941 twelve transmitters were in operation.
The World War II Years
With the arrival of the major U.S. Pacific Fleet units at Pearl Harbor in
1939, it became increasingly clear that a new receiver and control station was
needed. Therefore, a secluded spot at Wahiawa, some 20 miles north of Pearl
Harbor, was chosen and purchased by the Navy for approximately one million
dollars. Construction began on the 697.2 acres of land in 1940 and was scheduled
to be completed in 1942. During that time, the station at Wahiawa was considered
the most important of a number of Naval Radio and Air Stations being constructed
as a part of a general expansion program.
On December 7, 1941, a few minutes before 0800, several squadrons of Japanese aircraft passed over the Lualualei Transmitter Site on their way to bomb Pearl Harbor. As the planes passed over the major Naval Radio Stations they were strafed, but the casualties among the communications personnel were light. However, the radio stations themselves proved highly vulnerable to attack. Lualualei was located only 4,000 yards from the shoreline and received its power over exposed land lines from the Hawaiian Electric Company, 22 miles away. The radio facility at Wailupe, also along the seacoast, was deemed unprotectable. So, on the morning of December 10, it was decided to have all of the equipment at Wailupe moved to the new site at Wahiawa.
This new site was an excellent receiving area and the best-protected radio station on the island. Men worked day and night to transfer operations to Wahiawa and on December 17 the relocation was completed without the slightest interruption in communications service. This location became known as the Naval Radio Station, Wahiawa. Shortly thereafter, the Security Group Unit was also moved from Heeia to Wahiawa.
To improve naval communications in the Pacific area, a Communications Security Unit (COMSEC) was established at Wahiawa in 1942 under the management and control of the Chief of Naval Operations (CNO). Their purpose was to assist in a program of cryptographic security, message traffic control and message traffic analysis.
It became apparent after the war that the naval communication facilities in Hawaii could never revert to their small pre-war status, but would have to continue in the role of "big business."
After World War II
after the war, a committee was appointed by the CNO to make a survey of the
facilities at Wahiawa and to make the appropriate recommendations concerning the
location of the central point of radio communications. The committee decided
that the central point should return to Pearl Harbor and that Wahiawa be
relegated to a receiver site. However, in 1956, it was decided that insufficient
space existed in the Pearl Harbor area to permit the continued expansion of
communications facilities on Oahu. In addition, the various components were
scattered throughout the Pearl Harbor complex which made the operation highly
uneconomic and difficult to supervise. It was decided to relocate the central
point back to the Wahiawa site.
Because the requirements for rapid communications from the Department of the Navy to the fleet operational commanders had changed, the CNO authorized the activation of an additional teletypewriter system. This system, known as HICOM, was activated in 1957 and operated parallel to the existing communications channels. Later, the Commander in Chief, U.S. Pacific Fleet (CINCPACFLT), established an additional parallel circuit known as the "Atomic Strike Coordinator Circuit." It was determined that even more rapid communications would be necessary. Therefore, a new communications net, known as the "Naval Operation Net" was formed in 1959. At the same time, the Navy decided that the stations at Haiku and Heeia were no longer needed. The station at Heeia was turned over to the Marine corps Air Station at Kaneohe, while the Haiku station was placed in a non-operational status.
The communication stations on Oahu underwent a consolidation in 1967. The message centers at Pearl Harbor (NAVSHIPYD), Makalapa (CINCPACFLT), Camp Smith (CINCPAC), Moanalua (FLEWEACEN), Secure Voice Pearl Harbor, and Consolidated Maintenance came under an Officer-in-Charge, which was known as NAVCOMMACTS Pearl Harbor. NAVCOMMACTS Pearl Harbor was a department of NAVCOMMSTA Honolulu who exercised administrative and operational control. The message center at Barbers Point also came under the control of NAVCOMMSTA Honolulu at the same time.
The Makalapa Local Digital Message Exchange (LDMX) was activated in March 1973 by Vice Admiral G. C. Talle, Deputy CINCPACFLT. The system's activation marked a significant step forward by improving writer-to-reader speed of service, message formatting, routing indicator assignment, and message recall for CINCPACFLT. In September 1977, the NAVCOMMACTS Pearl Harbor was disestablished and NTCC Camp Smith, NTCC Makalapa, NTCC Pearl Harbor, Secure Voice, and Consolidated Maintenance became separate departments of NAVCOMMSTA Honolulu. Concurrently, NTCC Moanalua was disestablished and the communication functions were turned over to the Fleet Weather Center.
In December 1977, NTCC Pearl Harbor was disestablished and absorbed into NTCC Makalapa in an ongoing effort to consolidate communications on Oahu. Subsequently, in February 1978, NTCC Makalapa, located in the basement of the CINCPACFLT headquarters building at Makalapa, became officially known as NTCC Pearl Harbor. The Commanding Officer of NAVCOMMSTA Honolulu transmitted the first message, via the LDMX system, in a ceremony marking the transformation of the CINCPAC Telecommunications Center at Camp H.M. Smith from Joint operation to Navy management in September 1973.
In April 1976, the Naval Communications Station Honolulu was officially renamed Naval Communication Area Master Station, Eastern Pacific (NAVCAMS EASTPAC).
On February 18, 1977, the Commanding Officer at NAVCAMS EASTPAC officially dedicated the new Super High Frequency (SHF) Satellite Facility at Wahiawa, the largest such facility of its kind. Concurrently, the Navy's Satellite Facility at Helemano was deactivated.
NTCC Ford Island became a department of NAVCAMS EASTPAC in October 1983.
On December 1, 1990, NAVCAMS EASTPAC and NARDAC Pearl Harbor merged to form the Naval Computer and Telecommunications Area Master Station, Eastern Pacific (NCTAMS EASTPAC). This merger took place to ensure that the Navy could meet the challenges of technological changes and advances.
The command was again renamed on October 20, 1997. The new name, Naval Computer and Telecommunications Area Master Station, Pacific, better reflected the command's regional operating area.